Your prom is going to be one of the most memorable nights of your life. Looking your best is an absolute must, especially because the event will be immortalized on your social media pages. After finding the perfect dress and shoes, you also need to decide what to do with your luscious locks. Your hairstyle can make or break your outfit for the night.
If you are looking for inspiration, here are 6 stunning hairstyles that will surely wow the crowd.
A waterfall braid is an intricate and charming hairstyle that works best with long to medium hair. It can also work on shorter cuts, as long as you don’t plan on jumping around the dance floor.
Ideally paired with loosely curled or wavy locks, a waterfall braid is perfect if you are going for a more casual and relaxed vibe for prom. Follow these easy step to create this gorgeous hairstyle on your own:
- Take a segment of hair near your hairline and use it to start a basic French braid.
- Let top pieces fall loose as you gather them into the braid, instead of crossing it over to the middle strand.
- Take some hair next to the piece you dropped and continue the braid like this all around your head.
- Secure with a clear elastic.
Half-Up Braided Crown
You don’t need to be named prom queen to rock a crown for the night. A half-up braided crown lets you wear your hair down, while still keeping it away from your face. This hairstyle will stay in place from the pictures on your doorstep to your last dance.
A half-up braided crown looks glamorous while practical. Create this hairstyle by following these steps:
- Take a half-inch section of hair from above your ear on the left side of your head.
- Split this section into three, and start a normal braid. Secure with a clear elastic.
- Repeat the first two steps on the right side of your head.
- Bring one finished braid across the back of your head and secure with bobby pins.
- Cross the other braid over the first and secure with bobby pins.
For a timeless hairstyle that perfectly fits any prom dress, choose a classic chignon. A classic chignon is a lot more intricate and sophisticated than a regular bun. It is simple and elegant, making it the perfect ‘do to bring more attention to your dress or a statement necklace.
This style works for almost all hair lengths and can be easily created in a matter of minutes. Here are the steps that you need to follow:
- Tie your hair into a low ponytail, then divide it into two strands to create a rope braid.
- Create the bun by wrapping your hair around your finger.
- Use bobby pins around the entire bun to maintain its shape.
High Ponytail With Hair Extensions
A high ponytail does not only look fierce and polished, but it also keeps hair out of your face when you are dancing. Incorporating hair extensions into this ‘do really elevates the entire look by adding length and volume.
Prepare your clip-in hair extensions and follow the simple steps below:
- Create a small ponytail near the top of your head and secure with a clear elastic.
- Clip 3-clip wefts around the ponytail. Be sure to clip in as close to the elastic as possible.
- Gather all your hair into a high ponytail, making sure that it covers all the wefts you have attached. Secure with a hair tie.
- To finish off the look, take a strand of hair and wrap it around the base of the ponytail. This will hide the hair tie and give you a more polished ‘do.
Old Hollywood Curls
You may not be walking the red carpet, but your prom is the perfect time to rock that old Hollywood glam. Glamour waves are still a popular choice for formal events because they easily make anyone look chic and polished.
This hairstyle can take some time to complete, but it’s definitely worth the extra effort. Follow the steps below to try this retro ‘do for yourself:
- Create a deep side part and clip the parts that you are not working on.
- Take a 2-inch section of hair and apply hairspray.
- With a 1-inch barrel curling iron, curl the section toward the face. Apply hairspray again. Repeat the process for the rest of your hair.
- Brush the curls and tease the roots at the front gently. Smooth down any flyway pieces with hairspray.
Loose Braided Bun
Nothing screams elegant, young and chic better than a loose braided bun. It’s also the perfect choice if you are going for a casual look, without appearing too disheveled or messy. More importantly, you don’t have to worry about it coming undone while you’re dancing the night away.
This hairstyle works best for long and medium hair and will only take you a few minutes to create. Here are the steps that you need to follow to achieve this look:
- Take a 2-inch section of hair from the right side of your hairline and start a french braid.
- Continue braiding until you reach the left side. Secure the braid with a clear elastic.
- Gather the rest of your hair into a low ponytail, pulling it through an elastic only once.
- When you loop the elastic over the ponytail, don’t pull the hair all the way through. Instead, pin it against your head with bobby pins.
- Pull a few strands loose to frame your face.
The hairstyles above will make you shine, while still staying in place as you enjoy the night. No matter which hairstyle you choose, remember that your prom night is all about making great memories with your friends. Don’t stress yourself out too much trying to look perfect. The most important thing is that you feel beautiful and comfortable.