Larchmont is an affluent neighborhood in Westchester County, New York. It has an approximated population of more than 6,000 residents in 2018. To fully enjoy the summer season in the area, you may construct a deck in your home.
A functional deck can be the perfect area to spend your evenings with your family and guests. It is an excellent place to relax after a stressful day at your job. According to professional deck builders in Larchmont, NY, a deck can also bolster the resale value of your home by several thousand dollars. This article offers 11 tips on how to save when constructing a deck in your home.
What is a House Deck?
A deck is an additional elevated structure adjoining a home. Generally, it is an extension for such functions as entertaining guests, relaxation, and doing outdoor activities like grilling, dining, and barbecuing. While it is a roofless structure, you can cover it with a pergola.
Tips to Save Money When Building Your Deck in Larchmont
You may invest a considerable amount of money to build a deck. But with smart planning and spending, you can save a lot on your project. Here are some tips to minimize your investment for your deck:
- Avoid using odd sizes in your deck to reduce material wastes. Always utilize standard dimensions of your materials to maximize their usage.
- When requesting a quote, ask your shortlisted contractors for estimates for both material and labor, and labor alone as well. You may save the difference money if you buy the supplies yourself.
- Coordinate with your chosen contractor on how to optimize your space and cut costs. When selecting your contractor from the available deck builders in Larchmont, NY, make sure it has a good record on customer service.
- Before buying your materials, compare the prices of the various supply stores in your locality and choose the best price. You can also take advantage of special or seasonal discount offerings. You may also use your credit card to earn rewards or air miles.
- Consider negotiating an additional discount with your chosen supplier if you purchase all your materials from him/her. Also, buy supplies like nails, screws, paints, and bolts in bulk.
- If you choose to build your deck yourself, rent tools or equipment rather than buying them.
- Ask your neighbors, friends, or relatives if they are building their decks, too. You can purchase your materials collectively to get the best price. You can also help each other in the construction to save on labor costs.
- When preparing your post support hole, pour concrete mix first and insert a 3-4-inch length of sonotube rather than using an entire piece to save on cost without compromising the integrity of your structure.
- When using pressure-treated lumber, apply a seal or preservative to the exposed surface every time you cut a piece. It will safeguard the warranty for the material and avoid early deterioration.
- Always utilize the appropriate hardware for your deck, e.g. use screws rather than nails and galvanized hardware instead of powder-coated ones.
- Always apply a protective finish to complete your deck. It will ensure the longevity of your structure and get the best value for your money.
Image Source: unsplash.com
A deck is a good investment for your home. By hiring the right contractor and practicing these smart tips, you can save a considerable amount of money when building your dream deck.